Diving with the Sea Lions

Yes, we dove with the sea lions today!  Our two dives were amazing - the water was so warm that I did not even need a full wetsuit.  I was perfectly comfortable in a shortie, no boots or hood.  Unfortunately, the vest I bought in San Diego hasn't been used yet, but I'm sure somewhere down the road I'll need it.  

We took a diving tour with Cabo Adventures, the sister to Vallarta Adventures with whom I was certified 2 years ago.  The dive masters, Roberto and Jenny, took great care of us and made sure our equipment worked properly and that we were geared up safely.  The first dive was called North Wall and we ended up near Sand Falls.  We were able to see some beautiful fish and other creatures, including a pregnant sea horse and a scary looking eel!  (It looked like a mean snake so of course I did not like that.)  The moray eel we saw looked ready to pounce so I got out of there fast, too.  The Sand Falls are awesome - it's literally a waterfall of sand down rocks within the ocean that occurs because of the waves crashed above and the currents pushing down upon the sand.  Very cool!  Our dive master also pointed out little heads coming from tiny holes in the sand, which I suspect were dozens and dozens of little eels poking up from the sand.  It really makes you wonder what sort of creatures you could be stepping on while swimming in the ocean!

Our second dive was called Land's End, which encircled that last infamous rock in all pictures of Cabo San Lucas.  On a smaller nearby rock, sea lions have been sunning themselves, occasionally jumping in the water for a swim.  Well, we went down around 40 feet and just sat on the ocean floor, waiting for them to come down.  A few swam down, laid down too, and just watched us.  I sat still for a minutes and watched one slowly creep up towards me - he was about 4 feet away; his buddy came down and startled him, though, so they all took off.  It would have been so cool to have touched one!  They do seem very friendly, though.  

The rest of the dive involved a tour through the strong currents at the rock, around 70 feet down.  We came upon a literal wall of fish swimming - the school was probably a thousand or more fish in number, and it seemed like you had come to a dead end...and then they swam on by.  We saw some crazy looking spiky fish along with a sea turtle.  All in all, the 2 dives were great - I was pretty comfortable and enjoyed the swim both times.  I had my usual stomach ache all morning up until the dives, though, so someday I hope to get over feeling so nervous it hurts before my dives.  But, really, after 8, I think I am doing okay. 

I realized tonight we haven't really had a chance to take a lot of pictures yet so hopefully tomorrow we are able to get in some good ones to post.  This morning we rented some paddle boards and went out across the harbour.  I managed to stand the entire time, except with a huge yacht went flying by and its waves knocked me down.  I don't think Bryan really enjoyed it though - he spent the majority of the time on his butt, kayaking!  While going across this busy, busy harbour (two cruise ships were anchored this morning, making it a very busy place with water taxis and excursions), I noticed a sea lion swimming back from near shore out to their rock - I'm amazed he was content enough to do that, especially when tourists stopped in their boat to bark at him!  Poor guy.  

And, oh, the pelicans!  They are everywhere, sitting on rocks, dive-bombing into the ocean...seeing so many of them has been very cool, too.  

Heading out to dinner tonight, Bryan noticed a place across the street that literally looks like a hole in the wall.  It's called Sharky's and it has to serve the most delectable Mexican food here!  The Mexican meatballs were scrumptious  and my chiles rellenos, chicken and enchilada were to die for!  We would highly recommend this restaurant - it's right across the street from our hotel.  

A trip to the rooftop Baja Brewing company pub at Cabo Villas completed our night.  It's another early one as we want to get up at 7 for a run along the beach, and then I must finish this school assignment I have been working on.  The pub serves their own brews, and it's a wonderful location to viewing the town and ocean alike.  The Raspberry beer was awesome - very fruity!  Bryan enjoyed his Red but I think he had a better Red in San Diego.  It's been tough finding him red beers that aren't too hoppy.  I guess Rickard's really knows how to make them best!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercato in Mission

AOW - I made it