Fairmont Fairytale (Reposted from October 2012)

True to our nature, Bryan and I didn't actually get around to planning and executing a celebration for our 3 year anniversary that occurred in August.  Maybe it's just too busy that time of year, but more likely, I think we like to be quite spontaneous so that we can enjoy every iota of hot weather that we can with such short summers.

Better than last year, we did manage to book a weekend away to celebrate and spend some quality time together.  We chose Banff as it's still a good distance from home but in a different setting so it does feel like we've gotten away.  I booked us into the Banff Springs Hotel, our first experience staying at such a beautiful place, so we were both quite excited to get out here and check things out.  I found a deal, but as anyone knows, staying at this hotel (or any Fairmont location) is not cheap, so we booked 2 rooms and split the cost of the still exceedingly high price tag.

Courtesy:  http://www.worldtravelguide.com/travel-reviews/hotels/canada/alberta/banff-springs-hotel-deals.html

Before we checked into this magnificent castle, we had an amazing dinner at The Bison Restaurant in the town of Banff.  My Open Table app likes to let me know about their "1000 point" tables, and coincidentally, I had received an email about The Bison being a 1000 pointer a few weeks ago.  Luckily, I was able to make the reservation for Friday night and Bryan and I enjoyed a wonderful, laid back meal that we were both very happy with.  

To begin we had Diver Scallop and Braised Bison Ravioli to share between the two of us while we waited for our meal.  Whether we liked it or not, the waiter also served us some warm, soft, yummy bread to start as well and we managed to go through two baskets (though I do think most was consumed by Bryan).  Bryan ordered the Carmen Creek Bison Ribeye and I had the Carmen Creek Bison Short Ribs.  We were thoroughly impressed with our respective meals, though I was unable to finish all that glorious food!

Upon check-in at the Banff Springs, I learned we had been given an upgrade to their "Gold" floor.  This is the entire 5th floor of the main hotel, with its own private check-in, lounge, concierge and reading room.  Our room is exquisite, having been recently renovated, with a lush king-size bed and all modern bathroom fixtures.  The wall jets in the shower have quickly become a new favorite thing of mine!

Last night we attempted to explore the hotel and, being the avid paranormal researcher that I am, we had to check out a few of the 'known' locations for hauntings.  Unfortunately, nothing otherworldly happened to us, but we snuck onto the 8th floor (it's under renovations currently) to see about this mysterious missing room 873.  It's true - there is no room 873 and it does appear that there could have been one there in the space at one time, as it's a long distance between rooms 871 and 875.  However, I'm not entirely convinced this room was closed up and not just missing because one of the other rooms is actually a suite.  I'd have to check that out myself someday.  

Some of the other magnificent rooms were blocked off due to events, but we managed to sneak into the Cascade Ballroom today to peak.  Bryan had to be shown - this IS the dream location for my wedding! Another fun surprise was that the lounge downstairs serves Montepulciano d'Abruzzo wine!  My new favorite!

A couple of hours were spent relaxing and getting pampered in the spa this morning.  We both had massages and facials and are now well on our way to a great night's sleep, even though we should stay awake and explore some more.  We should be heading back to the spa soon to enjoy the pools and then we'll be on the search for somewhere for supper.  Me, I think I'd be quite happy to grab some wine from the lounge and just relax but I don't think Bryan could handle that.  He needs to keep busy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

Laurier Lounge, A Cozy, Relaxed Dinner Club Event