Burlesque in Calgary

As most of you know, I love to dance.  This was discovered only a couple of years after moving to Calgary, though, looking back on the time spent imitating the dancers from In Living Color and Video Hits in my living room as a child (and yes, a teenager), I suppose it's not surprising.  

I began with salsa lessons, and moved on to International Latin courses, which I absolutely loved.  Samba was my favorite but rumba is so sensual and electric that's it's hard not to get caught up in the moment with the right partner.  Moving on, a friend got me started on West Coast Swing, another favorite, simply because of the wide variety of music involved and the ability to be so creative in the movements.  

However, what really got to me was when I started doing burlesque classes.  Admittedly, at first the zoning and movements through honey were difficult (and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you must check out one of Di's fabulous classes at Burlesquercise), but after a few weeks, my self-consciousness died down and I became much more comfortable in my own body. For someone who is constantly worried about self-image, to be free from those thoughts for an hour and a half each week was liberating.  

I took this love of burlesque and the sexual, mischievous nature of the songs so far that I went completely outside of my comfort zone when I had a chance to audition for the Little Vegas Dance Company.  Surprisingly, I was accepted, and spent a year dancing with a group of amazing ladies, performing at various dance and vendor events, and learning that, while I am scared to death of public speaking, it's not so bad to perform these dances in front of a crowd.  My absolute favorite dance through LVDC was Nasty Naughty Boy, performed with a feather boa, strategically placed to tease and tantalized, along with a chair; I wish I could have the chance to do that number again!

After a break from dancing burlesque, though, I got caught up in the desire to be a part of something fun.  I simply signed up for another class for myself, a different form of exercise...and ended up performing once again.  Having just finished my second performance this year, I realize that it's one of my true loves - this wonderful mixture of burlesque dance and performing.  My favorite dances, still, are those that have an element of tease, but the military inspired dance I performed on the weekend was vastly inspiring with it's combination of seriousness and sexual nature.  

What does this mean to my travel blog readers?  Well, if you are ever in Calgary in either May or December, you must check out one of Di's burlesque galas.  It's a fun-filled night meant to empower women and break open their shells of insecurities.  The dances are increasingly mesmerizing and scandalous, and the crowd continues to crave more.  I write this because I respect Di's work and everyone who puts all this effort into these wonderful galas, and because I hope that this exciting phenomenon catches on for more and more spectators.  It's a fantastic show, with tons of energy and wonderful props - for something new, check out the galas like The Naughty Kingdom.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

Laurier Lounge, A Cozy, Relaxed Dinner Club Event