Sunday Night Pasta Find: San Remo

Traveling is about the journey, the experiences, and new adventures.  To me, this doesn't always mean I need to leave my city (though it sure is fun to get out in the world and really immerse myself in different cultures and situations). Sunday nights are usually pretty laid back for us, and I have taken to going out for dinner so that I don't need to spend my evening cleaning up my kitchen before the start of another work week.  

Originally, our plan was to visit Famoso, but the line-up at the door was too much for the people I was with, so we headed to San Remo in Mackenzie Towne.  I've eaten here twice before and thoroughly enjoyed the experience each time.  I recall the food being authentically Italian and the ambiance being muted, comforting, and cozy.  You could really relax in this restaurant, although the decor and menu does indicate a more upscale expectation.  

It was surprising, then, that the menu last night seemed smaller than normal.  I noticed a sign by the door that stated "Pasta Sundays", but upon closer examination, there was nothing indicating what that actually meant.  We asked our waitress a couple of times if this was the full menu (as we had chosen to sit on the lounge side).  She assured us it was, so we ordered our food.  Pasta was very cheap - $10 for most of the dishes - but it didn't include anything else with it.  It seemed odd, too, that the side Caesar salad was also $10, but we just continued on with our meal.  

At some point, we did find out - Pasta Sundays means a shorter menu with options not featured on the regular menu (and, vice versa, some items you could find on the main menu not offered) at $10-$13 per plate.  So, not bad on the price side of things.  Overall, our meals were tasty but we decided it wouldn't have been worth the regular price.  I do recall my regular priced pasta being much more delicious last time I was there on a Friday night.  

To speak of experiences, while it was great to find out about cheap pasta and spend time with friends, my clean eating lifestyle over the past 4 weeks has really affected my ability to enjoy restaurant food.  Unfortunately, the pasta did not agree with me and I am still affected by, presumably, the starch in the processed, white spaghetti.  What I've learned makes me a tad bit sad - I love eating out and finding new restaurants, but it's becoming more difficult with each passing day to find menu items that don't disagree with my stomach.  It's hard to find clean entrees without added sugars and processed ingredients.  Someday, it would be wonderful to locate a gem that offers a wide selection of unprocessed, clean food (and not just a salad bar).  I see restaurants offering gluten free options, but that doesn't help me, someone who chooses to eat the least processed, whole grain pastas.  Knowing how unclean foods make me feel, I am more and more intrigued by the idea of serving only fresh, authentic ingredients when I open up my Belize bed and breakfast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

My Visit to Auschwitz / Birkenau