First Wreck Dive

Today we experienced the Caribbean Sea from a diver's perspective. Well, it was my first time diving these waters anyway. A few uncertain moments this morning led us to wonder whether we would make these scheduled dives - Bryan was hit by tummy troubles late last night that also seem to be hitting a few others this week. Luckily he is determined and we made it to our dive.

The first dive was to the wreck, a purposely sunk C-56, former US Navy minesweeper retired in 1946. Compared to the battleships and air craft carriers we have toured recently, this ship was quite small. All I kept anticipating was that slow view of a massive ship wreck as we descended....and I totally missed it! I hit the bottom and turned around, and there it was. Not nearly as magnificent as I had hoped.

We were, however, able to swim through the ship, checking out the engine rooms and some living quarters. It wasn't completely dark and holes had been cut into it for quick exit, but it would have been more interesting with a flashlight, I think. The dive and tour through the ship were over very fast. I cut my hand on a doorway, so I glad I got that horrible tetanus shot after all!!

Our second dive was uneventful, really, but it was so relaxing and easy. We dove for about 45 minutes around 20 feet deep, just swimming around and through the reef. My favorite fish, the blue tang, was everywhere, and I saw a live conch! We also saw a large lion fish and a huge lobster. It was cool looking at the variety of coral - different formations and colours. I liked that I was able go away from the group enough to just explore and play with my breathing. While we didn't see a lot of marine life, this dive was a great one for practicing skills. Bryan was a great help to another diver who lost his tank, too.

The afternoon was so hot, laying on the beach, without any breeze, but then a thunderstorm rolled in. We decided to head to the room for a nap, waking after 3 hours. Tonight we are meeting Jen and Simon and 13 others for dinner at 9:30. I love this lazy life!

It's tough to write about much at an all-inclusive. I miss the exploration that I do on other trips but I can't complain about how relaxing this vacation has been! And Bryan and I have the "getting a tan without burning first" routine down pat now!

The seafood here has been amazing, something I will surely miss in a few days. I'm definitely not looking forward to returning home. Being here is definitely reinforcing the need to find my place in a tropical location, a place to call home and set up shop. Belize next year is way too far off...I think we'll be heading out again in the fall or over Christmas/New Years. I need something to look forward to, right?

View of Seaside Grill from the pool deck.
Bryan enjoying a mini-hamburger

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

My Visit to Auschwitz / Birkenau