Cancun, Mexico

It is, yet again, so fabulous to be away from Calgary (and the cold and snow) in a place lush with green vegetation, clear blue skies, and a beautiful ocean backdrop. I have been lucky this winter to have been to 3 great tropical locations and I think it's going to be tough to go home and not really have that next vacation to look forward to. But, you know me...I will have something planned in a few months again!

We are in Cancun/Puerto Morales celebrating the wedding of our great friends, Jen and Simon. The group is wonderful - friendly, relaxed and a joy to talk with. Jen and Simon both seem excited and laid back about their upcoming wedding tomorrow. Jen has rejoiced at how little planning and choosing of wedding "stuff" she has had to do. I think this is the way to do it - pick a package, sit back and just have fun while someone else gets it organized.

We are staying at the Dreams Riviera Resort and Spa south of Cancun. For a "small" resort, it sure has a lot happening. The lobby is a grand entrance and a place to lounge around with friends for a drink. It's also where we need to be to get some semblance of decent wifi. This is quickly becoming a contention point for Bryan, and I am finding that good wifi is one of my top 3 criteria when looking for travel accommodations. It just seems so ancient that decent wifi is not available in every room and that what does exist is so slow!!

With 2 large buildings filled with a variety of rooms, the hotel perches elegantly along the beach, hugging four different pools and jacuzzis. Grills and sit-down restaurants can be found near the pool as well as within the main building. We have options for food - burgers, buffet, Asian fusion, Italian, French, and, of course, seafood. It's a very busy resort, day and night, but we can always find a place to enjoy a quiet moment. Weddings are happening every day, often two or three at the same time.

 

Our first night we arrived around 5:30, so we hit the lounge bar and started the celebration. For me, this week is two-fold for celebrating - on Saturday, I completed my Bachelor of Technology Management degree. My goal this week is to do nothing and see if I can't catch up on some much needed sleep while learning to reduce my stress levels! I think I came to the right place.

Bryan and I had a few drinks and enjoyed the time alone, away from our gadgets, distractions, and chores, to just talk. I love these moments because, after a drink or two, we both seem to open up and become more creative. We can start to imagine alternate choices or ideas and it feels like we connect while also finally making some real decisions. I love traveling with him regardless but it's these moments together that I truly cherish.

 

For dinner, we chose Bordeaux, the on-site French restaurant. All-inclusive is fun when you don't want to worry about price! We each chose an appetizer - me the camberet cheese and Bryan the escargot. This little monsters almost brought Bryan to his knees but, after a brief lesson, he was on a roll, prying them from their shells like an expert.

 

We each had a salad as well, the Thai salad and the pear and shallot one. Both were appropriately sized portions, too, which was great! I did love my pears.

 

For dinner, Bryan had their steak, cooked to perfection. I chose a shrimp dish with wheat berries, mini vegetables and a tasty, mild sauce. I couldn't tell you what flavour it was but it was very delicious.

 

We had a late night last night, meeting and getting to know the wedding group. Tonight I hope to be in bed much sooner! After a few hours in the sun, a good run this afternoon and a couple of drinks, I am already feeling sleepy!!! The bed looks welcoming....

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

My Visit to Auschwitz / Birkenau