Las Vegas Reluctance

So, call me strange, but heading to Las Vegas has never been high on my list of places to see.  In fact, I have turned my nose up at the very suggestion of traveling to the city of overindulgence.  What could it really offer me?  I am not generally one for artificial excess or material things, especially when combined with the American attitude of "more is more" and childish debauchery.  There has always been something cheesy and ridiculous about the very notion of Las Vegas.

Here I am now, about 5 hours away from heading there, though. Why?  Initially, when I suggested we visit Las Vegas this fall it was because Bryan had kept saying I needed to see it at least once and because we didn't have a lot of trips planned this year.  Up until last week, my honest reaction to anyone who asked about this trip was, "meh, it'll be okay". 

However, whether it is because I am getting out of the city for a few days or because I realized to be a true travel writer I need to be open to the adventures that don't really interest me, since Monday I have begun to become excited to see Las Vegas.  Sitting here today, I am now very much looking forward to flying into this City of Lights and to walking around the grandeur.  Bryan wants to visit a roller coaster tonight and do some gambling, so why not?  I will just have to make sure to get some coffee in me before we leave!

I am excited to go shopping, to see the shows and lights and debauchery.  The sheer extravagance should be slightly overwhelming - I just simply cannot imagine just how large and grand Las Vegas Boulevard is and nothing has yet stomped on my plans to walk everywhere!  More and more people suggest great places to eat, shows to watch and shopping experiences to take in, so I imagine this weekend will fly by.  

Yes, it seems like my Las Vegas reluctance is beginning to pass.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll become addicted and want to go back in a few months.  Girls' weekend, perhaps???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

My Visit to Auschwitz / Birkenau