Starbelly: A Delicious Dining Experience for A Special Night

Wow!  It's been months since I added something to this blog!  I feel so guilty now!

Over the past 9 months, I've started two new IT jobs, Bryan has started one new Process Improvement job, and I began working at a chiropractic clinic doing my holistic nutrition (my real passion).  Plus, I've been super busy getting my nutrition business up and running (check it out if you're so inclined here - I focus on helping women with adrenal fatigue, chronic stress and confusing sleep, concentration, hormonal and anxiety issues overcome them with the right foods and lifestyle).

With everything that's been going on in our lives, I decided it was time to celebrate!

Starbelly caught my eye at least 18 months ago (I think - I'm pretty sure they've been around that long).  I've been yearning to try this place and have suggested it a few times. I never won.  :(  Finally, I bit the bullet and booked Starbelly Open Kitchen for one of our 'new job' celebrations.  

Courtesy: Styled to Sparkle 

You can find Starbelly in the relatively new community of Seton, in Calgary's FAR south east.  It's very close to the South Hospital, if you're familiar with the towering structure that adorns the city's skyline.  

The building is very industrial, with lots of glass walls, eclectic light fixtures and a concrete floor.  As you can tell from the picture above, the decor is subtle yet ripe with character.  In the washrooms, the toilet paper holders are made with copper pipes and there is a large rope (complete with knots) acting as the cover of the overhead light wire.  Very fun!

Another exciting feature of Starbelly is the open kitchen.  You can enjoy a glass of wine at the bar while watching the cooks create the delicious meals for guests.  We were shown to one of the two tables shown above, with a comfy chair on one side and great bench seat (with pillows!) on the other.  I love how there is a variety of tables and chairs in this restaurant.

Dinner was very delightful, too!

I feel like, when we go to new restaurants and I plan to write about them, we should order appetizers as well as a main course.  So, Bryan opted for the Miso Maple Prawns, which were SO good!  I have to say, this was the best part of our meal!



Beets are one of my favourite vegetables (and I'm only beginning to learn how to cook the well), so I was excited to try Starbelly's Roasted Beet Salad.  It was very good - the beets were nicely roasted, the dressing was tangy and fruity, and I liked the added texture of the walnuts.  However, I still find the Beet Salad at The Park more satisfying.  



For dinner, Bryan chose the Prime Rib.  It was HUGE - 10 ounces, I guess that's huge!  He really enjoyed the prime rib but wasn't a huge fan of the cauliflower puree.  I tried it - very unique texture that not everyone would enjoy, I think.  But, it was a delicious dish.  He had to bring home half the prime rib steak though!



And, my entree was the Pacific Halibut and Prawns.  The prawns were great - I really enjoyed them.  The halibut was thick but perfectly cooked, plus it's not a fish I eat often so my dish was quite enjoyable.  I found the cherry tomatoes and sauce good but maybe a little bland.  However, no major complaints.  I was happy.  This is a great dish too, if you're into halibut and prawns!


One other thing to note about Starbelly is that they pride themselves on acting as Farm-to-Table as much as possible.  The furthest any food travels is from BC (the fish, obviously) and very few ingredients are frozen.  The cooks get in 3-4 shipments of food each week to maintain the freshest and highest quality of ingredients possible.  So, I love this whole concept and definitely ask more people to support these types of businesses rather than chains!  

Starbelly also has a very wide selection of cocktails, draught and bottled beer and WINE!  Lots of wine! 

So, if you're in the mood for something new and wish to support local suppliers of food, check out Starbelly - I doubt you'll be disappointed!

SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

My Visit to Auschwitz / Birkenau