And The Weekend is Over

Canmore really was lovely this past weekend.  I feel so relaxed after only 2 days away from home, away from my usual distractions, and, I hate to say it, away from my wonderful pets who keep me up half the night!  Between Walker biting my chin and flopping across my face, Zeta purring up a storm and causing me to overheat when she lays across my neck, and Tia deciding it's a good time to scratch like it's going out of style at 3AM, there hasn't been a lot of sleep for me since, well, October!

Anyway, Saturday night, after a couple of hours of vegging out in the condo, Bryan and I went to Tapas for dinner.  So many people have raved about this place and I really wanted to try it.  I was so excited that it was a Spanish-style, small sharing plate restaurant because that would mean we could try a lot of different dishes!  Right?  Well, we tapped out after only 3...I guess we weren't that hungry even after a good day of walking around.  

What we did eat was very delicious.  The tostados we started with included the artichoke and fig, and the crab and smoked salmon.  I loved the artichoke while Bryan loved the crab.  During our shopping adventures, a salesgirl remarked that we had to try to mussels at Tapas because they were simply the best. So, of course, since we love recommendations, we ordered the large-sized mussels - plenty of delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, fresh mussels cooked to perfection in a lovely blue-cheese sauce, complete with bread for sopping up any remaining sauce.  Divine!  It was so good and I suppose we maybe should have stopped eating the bread sooner, but I would highly recommend this dish too!

Finally, we got some grilled prawns with a mint-pea pesto. This dish was alright.  The prawns were nice and large, fresh-tasting and cooked to perfection.  But, after the amazing mussels, these didn't really score too high for us, but they were nice.  

No dessert for us (because, to be frank, if I had room for dessert, I would have just ordered another plate of food) and we headed back to the condo.  The lodges have a few hot tubs but the one in our building was filled way past capacity with 20-somethings, for which Bryan felt he did not have the patience to endure.  Instead, we watched Home Alone 2 on TV, laughed hysterically at the pure silliness of the pranks, and went to bed.  

On our way out of Canmore, we stopped at a little breakfast/lunch diner called Summit.  Again, I had read reviews and this place sounded quite awesome.  The food was very tasty, with quite the variety and quite the array of available modifications (gluten-free, for example).  They offered Peruvian organic coffee (so now I think Canmore is THE place to visit for amazing coffee) and these healthy-ish baked goods (you could tell they were fresh and they listed all ingredients for each).  

The process for getting said food was different, though.  We arrived to a line-up out the door (and, if you know Bryan, this makes him angry); however, I said that there were 5 empty tables so probably we'd sit soon.  It turns out, you have to pre-order your food at the counter and then sit down; they cook the food and a waitress brings it out when it's ready.  We didn't wait long for our food, received our drinks, and sat for about 10 minutes before our breakfasts arrived.  I thought the process could have been better - there were people coming in and claiming tables before ordering, thus taking spots away from people who were following the prescribed system.  There were people always milling around getting more coffee or water and, because the place is quite tiny to begin with, it always felt crowded.  But, I do think the food was worth the weird set up of Summit.  One thing that I didn't like was that, once I'd sat, I saw all these other options written up above the counter that you couldn't read as you stood in line.  Oh well.  

We made it back to Calgary and fell right back into our typical Sunday routine.  We had to pick Tia up on our way home, so when the 3 of us arrived at the house, the kittens were both frightened to death, hissing and spitting, tails all puffed up.  Luckily, it took only a few minutes to calm them both down. I think they enjoyed having the house to themselves for the weekend! And, I am happy to report that they did NOT destroy the house while we were away (we had visions of coming home to the fridge knocked over, milk spilled over the floor, stuffing popping out of the couches...)!  They were good little kittens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

My Visit to Auschwitz / Birkenau