A Tango and a Malbec

What better way to spend the evening?  Okay, so I didn't just go dancing and have some wine - I found a lovely South American restaurant a couple of blocks from my hotel here in Houston, Texas.  Located in the Uptown area by the Galleria, within walking distance (if you dare) of the DoubleTree Hilton, the Marriot, Aloft and other hotels, is this fantastic restaurant called Tango and Malbec.  Urbanspoon rated this restaurant as one of the best in the area, and it's noted to serve authentic Uruguayan dishes.

The menu is rich in veal, beef and seafood options and boasts some mouthwatering pasta dishes as well.  Every Friday and Saturday evenings, Tango and Malbec showcases some form of entertainment, from South American bands to tango dancers.  Unfortunately, I was unable to take either of these shows in on my visit, so I imagine this entertainment begins around 8:00 pm or later.  As a single diner, I was seated in the bar area, but at least I was able to sit at a table for 2 rather than right in the midst of the action at the bar!  But, for those interested, this option is available.

My experience began with a glass of one of the dozen or so glasses of Malbec this establishment offers.  With a name like Tango and Malbec, of course you expect to find Malbec wine on their menu but never have I had so many to choose from - all of which I had never heard of before!  I opted for one of the lower priced glasses (work is paying for this after all) by a label called Cartena Vista Flores - a light, fruity Malbec with a smooth taste.

To keep me satisfied as I waited for my food (right?), the waitress brought out a basket of assorted breads and homemade potato chips.  The chips were really great - crispy, salty and slightly oily but definitely more flavourful than any store bought kind.  They also provided a small dish of olive oil mixed with herbs - I think it was basil but I'm not sure - chopped up finely.  Combined with this wonderful, slightly sweet twisted bread, I almost had trouble just having a taste or two out of my bread basket!

No food experience is complete with just one dish, so I had to order myself one appetizer and one entree to try.  Both were decent sizes so I wasn't able to finish either, but at least I am able to say I tried a couple of items of their extensive menu.

For the appetizer, I wanted to order the mussels but forgot and ordered the ceviche!  Oh well, when this came out with it's two shrimp and abundance of fresh caught fish (I assume grouper), the ceviche clearly could have served 3 or 4 people as an appetizer.  The lemony dressing that had been drizzled generously across the fish made this dish exceptional.  The fish was fresh and tender and the lemon dressing light and refreshing.  I would definitely recommend the ceviche to anyone!



My entree choice was tough, as Tango and Malbec offer many different pasta and seafood dishes - trout, swordfish, scallops, and salmon with various vegetable and/or pasta accompaniments.  Since I was in the mood for a bit of a surprise that included a bit of seafood, I chose the Spaghetti a la Ushuaia.  This turned out to be a large bowl filled with clams bigger than I've ever seen, mussels, shrimp and huge scallops tossed in a delectable tomato-based sauce over top of black, calamari-inked fresh spaghetti noodles.  Fresh pasta, fresh seafood and a light tomato sauce - this dish was delicious and so worth the surprise!  For anyone who hasn't yet tried black pasta, give it whirl - it tastes practically the same as white pasta but offers up a little bit of a different dining experience.


Overall, I was very impressed with Tango and Malbec.  The staff seemed friendly and helpful and people seemed to be enjoying their own experiences.  If I am ever back down in this area for work, I would like to try out some of the other offerings on another visit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

Laurier Lounge, A Cozy, Relaxed Dinner Club Event