"Vintage" Never Disappoints!

Okay, so I am quite fond of 'vintage', 'couture', and 'antique' in clothes, architecture, books, decor, furniture, wall paper, vehicles, and shoes! Placed in front of the word 'chophouse', I am not sure what to expect of my experience in a restaurant utilizing the descriptor 'vintage'. Likewise, I don't particularly find many of the Calgary's brick and mortar buildings terribly 'vintage', though the warehouse-feel of many does exude some semblance of days gone by.
I'll admit I wasn't the most excited attendee to our June dinner club venue, Vintage Chophouse, on 11th Avenue and 2nd Street SW. I perused the menu beforehand, and still did not find anything that really 'popped' out at me. But, I agree to go and I try not to fall back on my commitments very often. What can I say, now that I have actually experienced Vintage? WOW! The food, the atmosphere, our server - all were simply amazing!

First off, our dinner club members are so much fun to be around and I love how the various people both Bryan, Scott and I have brought to the group seem to easily converse, joke and easily get along. I guess it says, really, how wonderful all these people are, and how lucky we are to know each and every one of them. It's been such fun to get to know spouses and friends of the regulars that we never really were able to talk with much before, and it's especially great how we all seem to have quite a lot in common. I'm really loving our group and how it has evolved (though I do miss the regulars from the past few months and hope we see them out again soon).

You feel a little special when you walk into a restaurant, speak to the hostess about your reservation, and are led demurely to an almost fully enclosed, circular room with a huge circular table - your own private dining room, really! This is what greeted us as we were led to our table, something we all greatly appreciated as we can become quite loud as the wine flows! It makes our dinner club event feel more intimate and private when we're given these specials nooks and rooms. I also have to praise the staff at Vintage Chophouse for not asking us for a deposit, a contract, or imposing any fines and fees on our group of 7+ people! Yes, we had an 18% gratuity added to our bill automatically, but our server had his work cut out for him, and he did an amazing job!
One of the coolest highlights of the evening was when our server brought out the meat presentation - 5 pieces of beef, of varying sizes and types, were placed on a huge butcher's block to give us a visual of what the different types of meats offered in the menu would look like. I have to say, this presentation definitely helped me choose the right cut of beef for my liking, as the one I may have initially chosen would not have been one I would have liked (too 'marbled', or too much fat to cut off). As it was, the C.A.B 8 oz tenderloin that I chose was to die for. I know I have had super, melt-in-your-mouth steaks before (but only a couple) so I can't say for sure this was the best I've had, but I'd say it is in the top 3, that's for sure. It was such an elegant cut of beef, cooked to absolute perfection. I think everyone else had similar rave reviews for their meals, too!

Our circular table came with its own lazy susan for us to easily pass around our bottomless wine bottle, which also came in handy for the side dishes that were ordered. It was great to share these items (though some planning ahead of time might have been in order, as we got a small variety of vegetables, with half the sides being mashed potatoes!). My choice, the roasted beets, were so good! If only I could cook beets half this tasty!
A lobster tail was added to one guest's order, and we all dipped into some of Vintage's yummy appetizers. The highlight still seemed to be the various steaks that were eaten, but I am told, very strongly, that the scallops were divine!



The only downer to the night was that the person who requested Vintage Chophouse for this month's outing was unable to make it. I hope that he is able to visit this magnificent steakhouse soon, and I do thank him for allowing me to experience a fantastic new restaurant that I would never have thought to go to before he suggested it. As the saying goes, never judge a book by its cover; never judge a restaurant by its name! 

Vintage Chophouse & Tavern on Urbanspoon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

My Visit to Auschwitz / Birkenau