Real Life Again...Where to Next?

Being back in Calgary now for almost a week, looking back on the previous week to Jamaica, the experience is already starting to fade from memory.  Traveling with friends was a new experience for me - all previous vacations had been either with my family or one other person (cousin, friend, boyfriend). Having had a few experiences where my companion(s) became ill during the vacation and were not in any shape to really leave the room, I was excited to have more people around this trip so that we could hopefully avoid this situation.  Luckily, in Jamaica, no one in our group of 5 experience that common stomach ailment that affects many who travel south.  There were moments before we left, too, that I was worried about how we would all get along and whether we would all be able to take in each experience we had hoped for, but in retrospect, there was no need to worry.  The five of us traveled very well together - we all had a great week and we all seemed to be roughly on the same page for activities and relaxation time.  

Unfortunately, for me, I began to come down with some throat or chest infection halfway through our vacation, and the last half was quite a struggle for me to stay positive and happy.  I was not feeling well and just wanted to lay in our room, but who can justify that, regardless of how ill you may be, when the weather is hot and the sun is shining and there are palm trees EVERYWHERE?!?!  Not me, that's for sure.  I had to get out and try to take in as much as possible for the remainder of our vacation.  Rum became an instigator to my cough, meaning I had to switch to drinking primarily the one and only red wine that seemed to be offered.  If I were more of a wine connoisseur I may have been complaining about this, but you can hand me almost any glass of red wine and I will probably find something I like about it.  

We had a nice little half day trip into Lucea on our last day.  Lucea is located across the bay from the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, and apparently houses over 500,000 people in such a tiny area.  I had to wonder whether our taxi driver was mistranslating this figure to us, but the overall number of people always around in Jamaica does infer this fact may be true.  Lucea is busy, with people coming, going and loitering all over.  I found it to be a quaint, active town that is struggling in ways to keep people housed and fed, while rich overlook the slums from their mansions in the hills.  Money may be tight but one characteristic about people in Jamaica is how happy and laid back they all seem to be, as a culture.  Who would be stressed out as much as we North Americans if you could look out your window and see such beautiful colors and lush vegetation?  My preference would be for people who lived in these beautiful countries to be more financially secure, and I've always wondered at the demographics and political influences of the past, that led countries such as ours, with its wide areas on inhabited areas, to be so wealthy while these countries that attract tourists and emigrants remain so poor?  

Another culinary experience before Jamaica was to try authentic patties.  A talkative, friendly lady recruiting people to the spa at the resort suggested a place called Juici Patti; coincidentally, our taxi driver to Negril had also suggested this joint.  Our first stop in Lucea was to Juici Patti to test out these Jamaican patties.  These meaty pastries are not new to me, as I have eaten them on occasional in Calgary if I happen to stumble across a store or market that sells them.  I was somewhat surprised to taste a very similar pastry flavor and texture in the authentic patties, though I did find the meaty fillings to be much less spicy than those sold in Caribbean restaurants in Calgary.  All in all, considering the number of locals flocking to this take out spot, Juici Patti is a must for anyone looking for authentic Jamaican patties.  

The travel bug has landed and latched on tight now.  Numerous times throughout the day I catch myself daydreaming about places to travel to, and new experiences to entertain.  My latest plight may be Scandinavia but, between Bryan and I, we may find ourselves diving and taking in another hot destination sometime soon.  Perhaps a cruise is in order?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtles and Sharks! - Diving Kauai

Diving with the Sea Lions

Laurier Lounge, A Cozy, Relaxed Dinner Club Event